quarta-feira, dezembro 14, 2016

Born to Run, by Bruce Springsteen


I was 16 when I first listened to Bruce Springsteen, The River. I was literally awed, it spoke to me on so many levels. Then I listened to Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ, and The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, and then Born to Run, that literally knocked me out. I remember buying Born in the USA without having even listened to a single song, because I trusted I would like it, and I did. Bruce Springsteen was one of my youth years musical heroes, and one of the few that aged gracefully, the music of his later years always from the very good to the excellent. So, I was curious to read his autobiography, and I enjoyed it immensely. The writing is down to earth, blunt, one seems to be listening to his song lyrics; I'm glad I read it in the original English because it relates so much to his song writing. He comes across as a sensitive and intelligent man, someone who learnt through life experience and knew how to grow up and become cultured and aware out of a blue-collared upbringing. I didn't know about his lifelong battle with depression, and I think the way he describes it and how he dealt with it, namely the anti-depressive drugs, extremely articulate and to the point.

All in all,it was one of the great books I read this year. Bruce Springsteen didn't let me down, as always. The Boss, indeed.

Sem comentários: