sábado, maio 18, 2013

Mr.Mani, by A.B. Yehoshua



A very interesting book I found in Jerusalem. It's about the story of a Sephardic family, from 1848 until 1982, narrated backwards through a series of dialogues. It's an original method, and very accomplished, because it's simultaneously intriguing and fetching, extremely well written. Through every episode, Jerusalem's presence and magic lingers, as one of the main characters of the book. One gets a sense of Jewish history and the strong connection to Jerusalem, the characters seem alive and real; I'm not sure what the author means with the recurrent theme of a certain fascination with / attraction to death and doom. A very good read, I really enjoy finding new good books by different writers, it's another of travel's joys.

1 comentário:

Ilana Bar-Hai disse...

I clearly recall the description of his home as a young boy even though I read this book years ago. I must go back and read it again as I did not finish it.